There are 3 steps in the recruiting process including applications, interview, and the final offer.
As an MBA candidate, you should check your school's schedule for the established application deadline. As a first step, you will be asked to complete a supplemental application form to help us learn about you and your interest in the position. In addition, you will be asked to provide your resume to kick off the process. You should ensure your resume highlights any international experience as well as your functional experience and interest areas.
In addition to your resume, you are expected to provide either a standard 1-page cover letter or a short (~1-2 minute) video. In addition to introducing yourself, this video should cover why you think you would be a good leader both within Samsung and at GSG. The application website will walk through the steps needed to upload the video introduction, should you choose to provide this.
The fit interview lasts about 40 minutes. This interview gives you an opportunity to tell your story, and showcase your fit with Samsung and GSG, articulate the reasons why you want to join Samsung, and highlight relevant industry or functional experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position. The interviewer will ask questions related to your professional and educational background, including education and work experience, and area of interest or position. You are encouraged to share stories in the interview that show your global mindset, openness to new experiences, adaptability, ability to influence others, and ability to execute on your ideas.
During this interview, you may also be asked to declare with which business within Samsung you would like to be affiliated. Please refer to this webpage for a better understanding of what "affiliation" means and the different business unit affiliations within GSG.
During the fit interview, we hope to get to know you - how would you define yourself and what drives you? At the same time, we would like you to get to know us and gain a feel for Samsung. We want you to do well in this interview, so here's a hint: our first question is probably going to be around understanding your 'story'. Please be prepared to give a one to two minute version of what you have done and accomplished over the last few years. Two minutes is not a long time, so be efficient as you highlight your educational, professional, and extracurricular accomplishments. Please also include how these experiences have positioned you to thrive in a new and different environment.
We expect you to come into the interview with a strong understanding of Samsung, GSG, and the affiliate in which you are interested. Here are three primary sources you can use to gather information. First, this website has most of the answers to questions you, as a candidate, may have. Second, the Samsung parent website is an excellent resource about the Samsung Group, including company financials, stated vision and objectives, and information about its affiliates. Finally, each target school has at least one school champion who will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.
Case Study Interview
The case study interview is a 40 minute session that is similar to what you would experience during a management consulting interview. You will have 30 minutes to articulate how you would approach a business challenge given to you, including providing specific, executable recommendations. This part of the interview will test your analytical, quantitative, and communication skills. The last 10 minutes of the interview will be used to further explore your fit with Samsung and GSG.
The group case will take about 50 minutes. After an initial 5 minute kick-off provided by your interviewers, you will be given 5 minutes to analyze a set of provided materials (that only you have been given) and then engage with a group for a 35 minute discussion to solve a business problem. At the end of this session, you will be given 5 minutes to provide a presentation on your findings to your interviewer. In addition to evaluating your business insights, this segment of the interview will test your communication skills and your ability to influence others, as well as your 'room presence' and how you think on your feet.
- The format of the case study interview is very similar to those conducted by management consulting companies. After a brief introduction, you will very quickly dive into a business case. This case is prepared by GSG and typically encompasses a business challenge that Samsung has faced or is currently facing. These challenges vary widely in terms of industry, function, and region.
- The main elements we are looking to evaluate are: i) the overall (MECE) approach/structure you take to evaluate the problem and generate solutions, ii) your ability to analyze any data provided and iii) your ability to synthesize insights and offer recommendations.
- Make sure to outline an action plan at the end of the interview to help us understand how you would prioritize efforts to address the problem.
- You will be provided with all the materials you need to contribute effectively to the group interview, at the start of the interview. Note that the materials each team member receives may not be identical - you may need to combine inputs from different team members to generate the correct conclusions. Take the time (~ 10 minutes) to read your provided materials carefully and make sure you can speak to their contents.
- Your ability to influence others, listening skills, and teamwork will all be measured by the interviewer in the room. The interviewer will typically not be involved in guiding the group unless deemed necessary.
- At the end of the interview, you will be provided with 10 minutes for a presentation of results. Be ready to defend your team's conclusions.
For the 2016 Fall and 2017 Spring recruiting seasons, the turnaround time for GSG to respond to you have completed interview is projected to be November 4, 2016 and May 12, 2017 respectively. However, this date may vary depending on several variables. While we cannot guarantee we can accommodate your request for an early decision, we will do our best to work with your situation.